Friday, February 6, 2009

So, apparently, role models and parents just aren't necessary.

According to Lil'Wayne, that is. I found this quote today while I was reading an article about IVF on Time.com. This is what dude has to say about setting an example for your child:

"If you need an example for how to live, then you just shouldn't have been born. Straight up."
LIL WAYNE, Grammy-nominated rapper, in an interview with CBS's Katie Couric, explaining why despite being a self-proclaimed user of and advocate for marijuana, he doesn't worry about setting a bad example for children, including his own son and daughter.


Wow. I mean, thank you Mr. Lil'Wayne, for the knowledge that no matter what I do to set my kid on the right path, he is going to just turn out how he's going to turn out. I can just beat my husband now, because my son, since he was born, should just know how to live, should know that hitting is wrong. Man, do I feel relieved! I don't have to do ANYTHING anymore! I can just sit on my butt, eating bon bons, and my child will turn out just great, because he wouldn't have been born if he needed an example of how to live.

Now, I am wondering, how, exactly, one thinks that children don't learn by example. Because I know that Aiden mimics my husband and myself- most of the time it's cute, some of the time it's an uncomfortable reflection of some behavior that we need to stop ourselves, especially in front of him. Also, given my knowledge of child development, I happen to know that children learn the most basic of things from their parents, from speech, eating habits, and activity levels, to social rules and decorum.

But, I must say, as a teacher, this quote sure as hell explains a lot. Because some of my students obviously, have parents who would agree with Mr. Wayne, and that is a travesty. I try not to be one of those "our society is going to hell in a handbasket types", but, seriously, our society is going to hell in a handbasket, purely due to piss poor parenting and a lack of education about the importance of teaching our children the basics of how to live in a civilized society. Even more scary, is the thought of knowing that these children, who have never learned by example, are going to wind up pregnant and do the exact same thing with their kids. And until these people who are in positions of wealth and power and influence, be they rap stars, sports legends or whatever, realize that THEY could have a positive impact on people by, wait for it... LEADING BY EXAMPLE... nothing is going to change.

No comments:

Post a Comment